----- Original Message -----
> From: "Dave Crocker via mailop" <mailop@mailop.org>

> On 1/27/2021 4:40 AM, Thomas Walter via mailop wrote:
>> My understanding is that a quoted pair can contain characters that
>> otherwise would be treated differently. Characters like spaces, but also
>> angle brackets and such.
>>
>> So in the following header, the address should be the last part in angle
>> brackets ("<b...@fh-muenster.de>"), but the first part should be the
>> "name" part, including the angle-brackets and email - "Some Person
>> <qw...@example.com>"?
>
> That sounds right.
>
> Relevant ABNF from RFC 5322, where the comments for qtext are probably
> the most helpful:

So you agree with him that an angle-bracketed address *inside quotes* should
be ignored by an MUA -- at least if there's a valid address not inside quotes
in the same header?

Should the MUA go inside the quotes in the header to find one if there isn't
one that's quoted?  Or should it error out as "no address to reply to"?
I would think it should error; the 'protection' of the quoting shouldn't
be conditional.

Sounds like Thomas thinks Tbird has a bug in its header parsing code, and I
agree with him -- and, I think, you.

Cheers,
-- jra
--