From: mailop <mailop-boun...@mailop.org> On Behalf Of Florian Effenberger via
mailop
Sent: Wednesday, June 2, 2021 2:05 AM
To: mailop@mailop.org
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [mailop] protection.outlook.com refusing to accept mail
with misleading temp error message

Hello,

I'm rather new to this list, so I hope it's okay to jump in directly in

this discussion and share some thoughts. :-)

I just recently faced a very similar problem with one of the new IPs I

got assigned. Likely, the IP was in use by someone else previously or

there are spammy neighbours (not surprising when it's a big provider

with some customer turnaround). I got all deblocking done in the various

blocklists, the status was clean everywhere, including SNDS, but still,

Microsoft 365 mailboxes (*.protection.outlook.com) blocked it.

It seems there are various independent blocklists - one set is covering

consumer Outlook/Live/Hotmail, the other set is covering Microsoft 365.

SNDS seems to only query the former one, and the Outlook.com web form

only unblocks on these domains, so neither of that helps for Microsoft

365 mailboxes.

For Microsoft 365, there seem to be various levels of blocking.

Sometimes, you can unblock yourself at sender.office.com, but I hit the

infamous "Write to delist@" message. I managed to create a ticket there,

they asked for some details, but then radio silence, all follow-up mails

ignored, for over a month now. Various ways of contacting them went

without any outcome, and I sense that on their end there is also some

confusion as to the existing blocklists - I got repeatedly told the IP

is not listed (which is what sender.office.com told me too), or to use

the Outlook.com form, that obviously didn't help for my problem at hand.

In the end, via way one of the communication channels I tried, I somehow

managed to get a supporter who was really engaged and managed to helped

me out, but I must admit that the whole process was not straightforward

and took me a month in the end. At least when people provide full

contact data/imprint and proof that the IP was freshly assigned, some

feedback would be good to not be left in the dark.

Problematic is also that there is no actual way to test if your new IP

is blocked before using it, apart from sending to an actual e-mail

address hosted there.

Hope to help,

Florian

mailop@mailop.org<mailto:mailop@mailop.org>

https://nam06.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flist.mailop.org%2Flistinfo%2Fmailop&amp;data=04%7C01%7Cmichael.wise%40microsoft.com%7Caaa84036aa5246e9315d08d925a6c75f%7C72f988bf86f141af91ab2d7cd011db47%7C0%7C0%7C637582220516827563%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=AR%2Fv6AaDxruCfBaBRJ4zhXtyxxeFEZ4oOP5eAVyaU7E%3D&amp;reserved=0