On Wed, 2021-06-02 at 04:15 +0000, Michael Wise via mailop wrote:
> That would shut down email as a viable communications mechanism
> almost immediately.

Substitute subnets for countries.  Is that not what your employer is
doing, blocking entire subnets?  The only difference is that the rules
are made by your employer, not by government.

On a more practical matter, maybe you can help me fix Hotmail
deliverability? for a few months I have been receiving the reply
snipped below.  I have been using that IP address as a very low volume
SMTP sender for about a decade.  The attempt was to message a Hotmail
address that I have been corresponding with for even longer.  I have
asked my ISP (Digital Ocean) to no avail.  I have not been able to make
sense of the information at the URL provided by Microsoft, specifically
map it against the diagnostic code in the snippet.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

--- START SNIPPET ---

host
    hotmail-com.olc.protection.outlook.com[104.47.14.33] said: 550
5.7.1
    Unfortunately, messages from [XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX] weren't sent. Please
contact
    your Internet service provider since part of their network is on
our block
    list (S3140). You can also refer your provider to
    http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx#errors.
    [VI1EUR04FT003.eop-eur04.prod.protection.outlook.com] (in reply to
MAIL
    FROM command)