On Thu, 2021-06-03 at 12:20 -0400, Bill Cole via mailop wrote:
> On 2021-06-01 at 21:46:43 UTC-0400 (Tue, 01 Jun 2021 21:46:43 -0400)
> yuv via mailop <post...@sfina.com>
> is rumored to have said:
>
> > I do like the fact that if someone puts
> > a letter with my address in a post office box anywhere in the
> > world,
> > it
> > makes its way to my snail box within a reliable service standard.
>
> [...]
> The direct corollary to that factoid is that all email should
> therefore be run by government entities with nationwide monopolies.

No.  Internet email suffers indeed a governance problem that result in
interoperability or deliverability difficulties, but government
monopolies are not the solution.  Government's role is to set the rules
and police them, not to provide the service that can be competitively
provided by private enterprise.  The corollary you envision is the
phone network of the Seventies.  Today, in advanced countries, the
phone network is a more or less competitive market, that unlike
internet email is *regulated* by government and *co-ordinated* at the
ITU-T, a UN agency.  I am not proposing that exact model (a license is
required to operate a telecom and I rather see less red tape than more)
but I am proposing that standards be enforced, and extended to include
a sufficient level of deliverability.

Today, "standards" are imposed by the big players, and they do so very
much in the bad Microsoft way of the nineties: Embrace, Extend, and
Extinguish.  Internet email may not be extinguished any time soon, but
it is becoming less and less relevant, replaced by SMS/MMS and other
proprietary messaging platforms (iMessage, Whatsapp, Telegram, etc.)
that do not suffer the governance problems that come with the
cacophonic fragmentation of internet email space where sender
identification flaky and filtering is not only not standardized, but
also spurious to a point of unreliability.

> I do not expect this to garner much support by anyone currently
> running any sort of commercial mail service on either end.

Of course not.  There is more money to be made in a world of
deliverability issues and in the long term using deliverability as a
way to squeeze out of the market the smaller players and aim for an
oligopoly or even a monopoly, resulting in higher prices and less
innovation.

What volume of maiboxes is handled by the three biggest service
providers in your country?  Not talking free consumers services.  It
has been a long time since I have dealt with another business whose
mailboxes were not handled by either Microsoft or Google.  Choose your
poison.

Internet email in its pure form was/is a sore pain for profitability:
there is an unlimited number of domains available (unlike the limited
and controlled range of phone numbers or IP addresses) and barriers to
entry were very low.  Let's make them high by complicating things and
we can make more money /s.

--
Yuval Levy, JD, MBA, CFA
Ontario-licensed lawyer