Dnia 23.09.2021 o godz. 20:41:41 Michael Peddemors via mailop pisze:
> It's just really sad, that instead of going after malicious
> dangerous offenders we keep bringing on new laws to make it harder
> to do so. GDPR, anonymous domain registries etc..

Why do you assume that GDPR is a law directed to facilitate spamming or
similar activities?

GDPR basically says that nobody is allowed to use your personal data (which
includes your e-mail address) without clearly explaining who uses the data,
which data is used, for what purpose and on which legal basis. And in most
cases, the legal basis is the consent of the individual in question. So one
of the implications of GDPR is that nobody is allowed to spam you without
your consent.

This *is* a law that "helps protect the innocent victims". Yes, it is
sometimes poorly (or intentionally wrongly) implemented, such an abusing the
"legitimate interest" concept included in the GDPR by many advertisers to
still flood you with advertising. It may also have unwanted consequences as
anonymizing the data of domain holders in registries, if these holders are
private persons. But in fact in my opinion GDPR is overall a good step in
protecting the rights of the individual.

In fact, I noticed a large cut down in spam amount on my server at the time
GDPR went into effect, especially for the most blatant random spams sent to
lists of addresses obtained from nobody-knows-where.

Maybe Americans have a different experience, as GDPR only imposes some
obligations on them without returning any benefits (as US does not have a
similar data protection law, as far as I know), but we Europeans view GDPR
differently, as provides some *actual benefits* to us.
--
Regards,
   Jaroslaw Rafa