on Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 12:36:23PM -0400, Bill Cole via mailop wrote:
> Owning an operational domain name makes you a public person. A
> domain name is a claim on a specific piece of the public commons of
> the DNS. In many places (including the US and at least some European
> countries) you can only own land if your 'title' to that land is
> registered with the government in an open public record. In the US,
> that title includes the record of past ownership and even sales
> prices. A domain name is intrinsically connected to public
> interaction.

This.

If you want to operate a private LAN with RFC1918 addressing that isn't
connected to the public Internet, by all means, register domains to use
on that LAN (or even WAN) with cloaked bullshit, whatever the excuse you
want to use - or don't bother, because nobody else will ever need to
know why you're using those domains, because they're not public. Once
you decide you want to participate in the public Internet, you have a
basic responsibility to be accountable for abuse emanating from that
participation, and part of that is being able to demonstrate who you are
and who to contact to report such abuse. The GDPR is pointless, as I've
said upthread, because massive interconnectedness ALREADY makes all of
the information that might have shown up in a WHOIS lookup public
information. Does anyone really think that cloaked WHOIS is anything
more than a way for registrars to make more money? I'm still pissed that
I once renewed a domain registration and they cloaked my information
(and charged me for it) because I missed a checkbox. Lunacy and vile
idiocy combined with profit motive is all this amounts to, and making
futile arguments about "personal privacy" is so much dross. Want to be
a private person? Stay out of the public sphere.

--
hesketh.com/inc. v: +1(919)834-2552 f: +1(919)834-2553 w: http://hesketh.com/
Internet security and antispam hostname intelligence: http://enemieslist.com/