But when GDPR came along, this gave those same hosters an even better argument that sounded good.. we can't because of GDPR.

For the record, GDPR doesn't preclude posting whois information, as long as the customer understands that it is for a legitimate reason.

The hosting company could simply put it in their terms of service, that unless they 'opt out', they agree to the information to be used for the stated reasons.

But of course, that means two things:

* A 'slight' cost in operating/maintaining whois
* CEO's worried about ANYTHING that might deter potential revenue.

As long as there is an 'opt-out' clause, or even better, the company only wanting businesses who believe in transparency, keeping accurate whois records is not only possible, but will earn the hosting company a better reputation across the internet.

        -- Michael --

On 2021-09-26 10:10 a.m., Andrew C Aitchison via mailop wrote:
On Fri, 24 Sep 2021, Slavko via mailop wrote:

While i cannot comment mentioned OVH domain, i will ask, why anyone
have to know from WHOIS of my domain my name, or my address or anything
about me as private person?

My understanding before GDPR was that private (non-commercial?)
domain owners could opt out of whois (may just have been an RIPE thing).

This would leave name and (non-internet) contact details for
post-holders in commercial domains, but the rise of anonymizing services
(also before GDPR IIRC) protected them and made whois useless.

I don't understand how/why registries allow anonymizing services,
but that it definitely off topic.

--
"Catch the Magic of Linux..."