On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 11:22 AM Dave Crocker via mailop <mailop@mailop.org>
wrote:

> On 10/18/2021 10:56 AM, Brandon Long wrote:
> >

> > On Sat, Oct 16, 2021 at 2:35 PM Dave Crocker via mailop
> > <mailop@mailop.org <mailto:mailop@mailop.org>> wrote:
> >

> >     On 10/15/2021 5:40 PM, Grant Taylor via mailop wrote:
> >      > The motivation for spreading service IPs across different /24
> >     prefixes
> >      > is so that if
> >
> >     The issue here is not the generic one of using multiple IPs.  It is
> >     about using them to separate IMAP from SMTP.  That's an entirely
> >     different matter.
> >
> >     To the extent that anyone claims that there is a reptuation-related
> >     reason for this kind of separate, for this kind of service
> distinction,
> >     they need to provide substantial detail that makes the validity of
> the
> >     reason crystal clear.
> >

> > I have not seen it specifically for IMAP and SMTP, but I have seen it
> > for SMTP and HTTP.
>
> Indeed. Both of those get into the reputation game (and do need to.)
>
> IMAP is used with an internal login.  Separate reputation analysis, in
> the style of an abuse filtering engine, doesn't make sense to me.
>

> > Specifically, I've seen people block http(s) access to an A record based
> > on a hostname pointed at it
> > being advertised in spam or if the smtp server and web server are
> > shared, ie they don't block by port
> > instead, they use a broad block in both directions.
>
> Sure, if a bad actor -- who doesn't have to log in - connects to a
> service, it makes sense to accumulate whatever reputation of them you
> can, across services.
>
> But as soon as the system connecting has to privately register with you,
> for on-going access, I'd expect that to involve a /very/ different
> assessment engine, since there is more and persistent knowledge about
> them.
>
> I suppose that knowing the connect from an address that is problematic
> might be interesting, but, well... sigh.

Right, if spam is being sent from compromised hosts, the hosts could be
used for
other things like password/hijacking attacks against IMAP... but then, your
smtp
server has a lot of other problems already at that point.... though, you
could also
be blocking your customers infected desktops.

Anyways, I stand by that there is unlikely to be overlap between people
blocking your
smtp server and your customers accessing your imap server... you'd have to
suppose
a block list that for the former being used by your customers or someone
between them
and your imap server.... or your imap server using such a blocklist without
whitelisting itself,
I guess.

Brandon