On Fri, 15 Oct 2021, Michael wrote:
I prefer to think that the company I pay $$ to for a cert, makes enough they don't have to sell our data. Remember, each lookup against Let's Encrypt shares information, that can be resold.

Sorry, but that is simply wrong.  It's not how SSL works.

The whole point of the signature chain from a CA certificate is so that a client can check any cert against its local list of signers, without any external queries. In theory a client can use OCSP to ask a signer whether a cert has been revoked, in practice nobody does because it's slow and revocations are rare.

Let's Encrypt is run by the Internet Security Research Group, a Californa non-profit funded by large gifts from organizations like Cisco, Facebook, Akamai, Amazon, EFF, ISOC and the Ford and Gates foundations, and small gifts from people like me. I happen to know a few of their directors and technical advisory board members, and I expect you do, too. FWIW, their privacy policy specifically says that the do not sell user information including OCSP queries, but it would make no sense for them to do so.

If you want online verification of certs, that's DNSSEC and DANE, but for a variety of political and technical reasons, hardly anyone other than Comcast uses them for mail.

R's,
John

PS: Looking at the privacy policy for Sectigo, the new name for Comodo, I see:

Re-Targeting

Sectigo has relationships with third-party advertising companies and permits the operation of a retargeting consumer marketing program. These third-party advertisers may place cookies on your computer for the collection of pseudonymised consumer information, but they do not collect personal information and we do not give them personal information. This Privacy Policy does not apply to these third-party advertisers but if you would like additional information, please visit Network Advertising Initiative at www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp, which also allows you to opt-out of such retargeting programs.