It appears that Dan Mahoney via mailop <d...@prime.gushi.org> said:
>I will say, as a data-point, that dayjob has had one customer that required us
>to use a CA for our SMTP server that’s on a whitelist-approved by a
>certain automaker industry consortium.  To the point where when they decided
>they couldn’t communicate with a secure SSL cert (even though SSL was
>there), they started faxing us their tickets.
>
>I can imagine other industries requriring the same.

That is not totally silly since the giant list of CAs in my computer's key
store include many that I would
not be inclined to trust a lot, e.g., Madrid Chamber of Commerce 2008, or GUANG
DONG CERTIFICATE AUTHORITY CO.,LTD.

On the other hand, considering who is behing ISRG and Let's Encrypt it is silly
not to put them on anyone's cert whitelist.

R's,
John