> On 26 Oct 2021, at 17:56, John Levine via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> wrote:
>
> It appears that Laura Atkins via mailop <la...@wordtothewise.com> said:
>>> Considering that every message sent without working unsubscribe is a CAN
>>> SPAM violation, I'd think some tooling to check that
>> the link at least connects to a server would be in order.
>>
>> I don’t think a List-Unsub header is sufficient to comply with CAN SPAM.
>>
>> Do you have better information from the FTC that suggests it does?
>
> Good question.  I looked at the FTC's CAN SPAM rule and while it says a whole
> lot about
> what mailers have to do when people opt out, I don't see anything about the
> form the
> opt-out has to take.
>
> On the one hand, historically the opt-out has been in the body of the
> message, but a whole
> lot of mail programs now recognize List-Unsubscribe and give you an option in
> the frame of
> the message which is easier to recognize and probably more reliable than
> looking for the
> tiny type at the bottom of the message.

There are still a lot of MUAs that don’t recognize List-Unsub headers
(outlook?), and some MBPs that only show the List-Unsub header under certain
circumstances.

For those reasons, and others, I don’t believe a List-Unsub header is
sufficient to comply with CAN SPAM. And I certainly would never recommend
relying on a header field to ensure compliance.

laura

--
Having an Email Crisis?  800 823-9674

Laura Atkins