Yuval this is awesome, and an awesome result!

FWIW, this is what I told Jonathan (after two previous replies/re-replies),
yesterday morning, in part - cc:ed to the chair of the compsci department, and
the Princeton legal department:

He wrote:

> Thank you for reaching out about our research on the European Union General
> Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the California Consumer Privacy Act
> (CCPA). A component of the study involves requesting information from
> websites about how they have implemented the consumer data access provisions
> of the GDPR and the CCPA. Both the GDPR and CCPA provide for these types of
> information requests. We would be glad to answer any questions you have about
> the study goals, methods, and safeguards, and we welcome any additional
> feedback you would like to provide.

I responded:

That GDPR and CCPA provide for such requests is immaterial (not the least of
which because neither is controlling law here).  You are in violation of U.S.
Federal law, namely CAN-SPAM, which states, in relevant part:

‘‘§1037. Fraud and related activity in connection with electronic mail

‘‘(a) IN GENERAL.—Whoever, in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce,
knowingly —

‘‘(2) uses a protected computer to relay or retransmit multiple commercial
electronic mail messages, with the intent to deceive or mislead recipients, or
any Internet access service, as to the origin of such messages,
‘‘(3) materially falsifies header information in multiple commercial electronic
mail messages and intentionally initiates the transmission of such messages,
‘‘(4) registers, using information that materially falsifies the identity of
the actual registrant, for five or more electronic
mail accounts or online user accounts or two or more domain names, and
intentionally initiates the transmission of multiple commercial electronic mail
messages from any combination of such accounts or domain names, or

...shall be punished as provided in subsection (b).

‘‘(2) a fine under this title, imprisonment for not more than 3 years, or both,
if—

‘‘(A) the offense is an offense under subsection (a)(1); ‘‘(B) the offense is
an offense under subsection (a)(4)
and involved 20 or more falsified electronic mail or online user account
registrations, or 10 or more falsified domain name registrations;
‘‘(C) the volume of electronic mail messages transmitted in furtherance of the
offense exceeded 2,500 during any 24-hour period, 25,000 during any 30-day
period, or 250,000 during any 1-year period;
‘‘(D) the offense caused loss to one or more persons aggregating $5,000 or more
in value during any 1-year period;
‘‘(E) as a result of the offense any individual committing the offense obtained
anything of value aggregating $5,000 or more during any 1-year period; or
‘‘(F) the offense was undertaken by the defendant in concert with three or more
other persons with respect to whom the defendant occupied a position of
organizer or leader;

As you can see, you and your team, and your actions, fit squarely within
several of the acts detailed above, having registered domains specifically to
send out falsified headers and false information, claiming to be individuals
looking for information, when in fact it is not those individuals but members
of your team, and in fact you are doing a study, not seeking such information
as an individual, making the entire email false and misleading.

In addition, each response you have received generated a cost to the responder
both in terms of time and, in some cases, dollar amounts as they had to pay
their employees, and sometimes pay legal fees, to determine how to respond.

I then reiterated my offer that there were many professionals in the email
receiving and policy communities who would be happy to assist them in designing
a method to accomplish their goal in a way that does it right and does not run
afoul of best practices, abuse polices, and the law.

His response to the above was that CAN-SPAM didn't apply as it was academic and
not commercial email, at which point I pointed out to him that he and I both
knew that reasonable minds can differ on what is "commercial", and it would be
a fun court case, but that at this point I was going to bow out and watch from
the sidelines.  I figured with my two emails going to the department chair, and
the legal department, and Yuval's email, someone there would hit 'pause' on it.

So, again, Yuval, well done!  We make a good 'good cop bad cop' team! ;-)

Anne

Anne P. Mitchell,  Attorney at Law
Author: Section 6 of the Federal CAN-SPAM Law
Board of Directors, Denver Internet Exchange
Professor Emeritus, Lincoln Law School
Chair Emeritus, Asilomar Microcomputer Workshop
Former Counsel: MAPS Anti-Spam Blacklist