On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 12:06 PM Grant Taylor via mailop <mailop@mailop.org>
wrote:

> Drive by comment:
>
> What if we had something like an MX record published for the IP
> of the owners / administrators of the IP (space) in question?

Do reverse DNS entries support the TXT structure?  Why not just create a
special, specific TXT record for a contact email address?

Or an IP address has to reverse back to a hostname - put the TXT record in
that DNS zone.

I'd be onboard with something like that.

To perhaps extend on this topic, perhaps there should be two contacts - a
blanket abuse contact and a specific contact for feedback loops (feedback
loops being defined as when a user flags a message as spam or a
receiving server automatically flags a message as spam).  This way a
dedicated email address can be used just for feedback loops.  I would
further recommend some type of standard feedback loop form.  If information
in the feedback loops need to be tied to a specific data structure, I might
suggest sending this information in an encoded JSON format.  The point
being, feedback loops aren't necessarily reviewed by a human every time,
but instead are tabulated to measure by account/email address/IP address
where the abuse is coming from.

On the other hand of all of this, we would have to deal with all of the
spam that would be forthcoming to the email address since it would be made
publicly available.  Distinguishing between legitimate complaints coming
into that email address and the spam coming into the email address can be
difficult.  Further separating the blanket abuse contact (i.e. for when
someone needs to speak to a human concerning this IP address) and the
feedback loop address - with a standard feedback loop structure, would at
least allow me to better distinguish known spam/abuse that is being
reported to the feedback loop address.

I'm willing to listen to any suggestions, but I have absolutely no pull
within the industry to make things happen.

My hope was to just steer/open a discussion that I don't think a lot of
people realize the disconnected relationship between IP address ownership
and mail server administrators.  I'm not pretending to suggest that I have
all of the answers.  But I don't think this disconnected relationship is
fully understood throughout the industry, and especially with the large,
big name email service providers.