On 2022-03-03 at 12:32:21 UTC-0500 (Thu, 3 Mar 2022 17:32:21 +0000)
ml+mailop--- via mailop <mailop@mailop.org>
is rumored to have said:

> On Thu, Mar 03, 2022, Bill Cole via mailop wrote:
>
>> Did I miss something?
>
> Maybe... I provided examples before.
>
>> I have no idea what GMail is rejecting in SMTP
>
> See Message-ID: <20220302163128.ga95...@veps.esmtp.org>

Tangential to what I thought I was adding a data point to...

I would never dream of saying that GMail doesn't ever reject legitimate mail in
SMTP. Due to the oddity of my account there I'm fairly sure that they've never
done so *in my case.* Given the sort of bottom-feeders they actually deliver to
the account, I have to believe they reject a lot of absolute garbage aimed at
me.

> I have no idea why GMail rejected those mails at the final dot.

Possibly because of a lot of similar messages making them all look like spam in
aggregate. Especially a problem if someone at Google applied too much of their
core search and ranking mojo to email.

Could apply to both of your examples. Spam filters do have false positives.

>>  and no one with a valid excuse to be mailing me there wouldn't have
>> other better contact means.
>
> So you have a "fallback" mechanism -- the guy who is trying to sell
> his house didn't provide one on the website.

His mistake for using GMail and not having a fallback, eh?

Internet email has never been and never really can be a reliable communication
medium. The best it can do is to be loud and fast when it breaks, rather than
doing things like figuring out too late that you don't want to or can't deliver
a message and dropping it after you've accepted it in SMTP.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire