On 2022-03-02 at 10:40:05 UTC-0500 (Wed, 2 Mar 2022 08:40:05 -0700)
Anne Mitchell via mailop <amitch...@isipp.com>
is rumored to have said:

All,

For some reason we have recently had a spate of small businesses coming to us asking us for our recommendations for a service to host their regular one-to-one business communications. Google and MS seem to have the business email hosting thing locked up tight, but surely there must be email providers out there that are friendlier,

Sure.

easier to set up,

Well, maybe...

and maybe even with some decent support

Absolutely.

(or is that a pipe dream?)

I am just guessing that you also need it to be price and feature-competitive with 2 of the world's largest tech behemoths too? That is the big challenge.

I cannot in good conscience recommend either of the mailbox hosters that I work for (or any of their non-behemoth competitors) broadly for small businesses. That's not just because I'm a terrible marketer/salesman: neither one is chasing new mailbox business independent of other services.

MS and Google are likely to be more satisfying for less money, for reasons that no non-behemoth can beat, mostly because they've been able to throw development resources at their services for years in order to minimize human support load and drive down costs. Real coders cost more than real tech support, but a good coder can replace a support tech with code that doesn't need health insurance... (Sometimes.) MS365 with hosted Exchange or GApps/GMail are absolutely good enough for most small businesses, many of whom would be unable to discern the ways a smaller provider might be "better," particularly when providing just email.

In pet feed terms: It's no accident that Dog Chow outsells Farmer's Dog. The customers are reasonably satisfied with a cheap commodity, partly because they don't have any way to know what "better" options exist and may not care about their positive differentiators.

If a small business (say less than 10 people, hosts their website at their registrar's free hosting service, or Square or Wix) were to come to you and ask you from where they should send their one-to-one regular business correspondence email, who would you recommend?

The more pedestrian their needs, the more likely I would be to point them at MS. That horrifies me, but it is true. MS has one thing that no one else on the net can offer: rock-solid deliverability to MS-hosted domains. To *responsibly* recommend another provider I'd need to know that their other priorities (spam control, white-glove support, customized mail routing, 3rd-party integration, whatever) beat deliverability, price, and ease-of-use.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire