Hi Grant,

Thanks for your reply.  Sure, I expect all sorts of folks (including spammers)
to try to send email to my customers, as well as bad actors who will try to
brute-force accounts. We all have lots of protections in place for those
circumstances.

But IMHO, just opening up a connection on TCP port 25 repeatedly without
actually trying to send an email inbound, or opening up a connection on TCP
port 587 without trying to authenticate is not a legitimate nor legal use; it
pretty much looks like an APT that's a prelude to a DDoS attack.

So I asked Linode nicely to please take a look; they said they felt it was
legitimate traffic because it's just "research" and not "malicious", and then I
asked them to stop because we felt it wasn't legal (or give us their IPs so we
could stop it), and they said no.

If this behavior was coming from a single IP, or in sufficient volume, our
protections would have already blocked the offending IPs.

Since I have no way to vet the legitimacy of this organization, I asked here if
anyone else has experience with them.

Thanks again,
Mark
L. Mark Stone, Founder
North America's Leading Zimbra VAR/BSP/Training Partner
For Companies With Mission-Critical Email Needs