Yeah, double dashes is not allowed in rfc821 mailboxes unless quoted, I
wondered about that myself.  I guess the current groups impl isn't
enforcing those rules correctly, or maybe expects the mail server to quote
them.

In reality, most mail servers don't interpret addresses that strictly, and
I know we made that mistake early on for gmail too.

I have no idea what the current bounce handling looks like, but at least in
the past I think it would mark a user as potentially bouncing, and then any
message that made it through would unset that potentially bouncing state, so
it could differentiate between "blocking one message", "blocking all
messages" and "user doesn't exist".  So, if you're on another mailing list
that the mail does get through on, your bouncing state doesn't last.

Brandon