On Thu, 16 Jun 2022 11:38:00 -0400
Dan Mahoney via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> wrote:

> I'm getting regular spam from google groups.  (This week, it's in Arabic).
> Since it's google groups, any abuse reports would just be devnulled.
>
> Sender: -2040---_...@googlegroups.com

I've also been subscribed to some of these, e.g.

--_-2030...@googlegroups.com
--2050-_-org_-...@googlegroups.com

Since Google Groups Return-Path and Sender headers are fashioned after
the group's name, the envelope sender for messages from these groups
begins with a hyphen. But the default Postfix configuration doesn't
permit such a thing, so these have been getting rejected for many
months:

 In:  EHLO mail-ej1-f63.google.com
 [...]
 In:  MAIL

FROM:<--2050-_-org_----+bncbd6lzjuoxierbkv4rokqmgqer6om...@googlegroups.com>
     SIZE=68726
 Out: 501 5.1.7 Bad sender address syntax
 In:  RCPT TO:<xxx>
 Out: 503 5.5.1 Error: need MAIL command
 In:  DATA
 Out: 503 5.5.1 Error: need RCPT command
 In:  QUIT
 Out: 221 2.0.0 Bye

I think most list managers would have automatically unsubscribed a
recipient after 50+ consecutive failures, but the Google Groups platform
is undeterred; it must not recognize this particular pattern as a
problem.

Shaun