On 6/22/2022 4:21 PM, Rob Nagler via mailop wrote:
On Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 9:54 PM Dave Crocker wrote:

 > None of the relevant systems have C-R as a component, so I'm guessing
 > you mean this as an exemplar of the background stuff that happens
 > magically, to get an actor to be authorized to use the domain name.

The domain name is a bit of a red herring with this proposal. The actor (sender) is authorized by the receiver, period.

If the actor starts sending spam, they get docked. The definition of spam is by the receiver, which might use DKIM or simply say "new domain seen with this key", let's throttle these messages until we are sure.

OK. So you are suggesting something that is independent of spf/dkim/dmarc/arc? That's fine, I guess, but I thought this thread was discussing those.

 > None of these specs and services say anything at all about 'reputation'.

They do. RFC6376 <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc6376/> DKIM:

6.3.  Interpret Results/Apply Local Policy

    It is beyond the scope of this specification to describe what actions
    an Identity Assessor can make, but mail carrying a validated SDID
    presents an opportunity to an Identity Assessor that unauthenticated
    email does not.  Specifically, an authenticated email creates a
    predictable identifier by which other decisions can reliably be
    managed, such as trust and reputation.  Conversely, unauthenticated
    email lacks a reliable identifier that can be used to assign trust
    and reputation.  It is reasonable to treat unauthenticated email as
    lacking any trust and having no positive reputation.

Sorry my writing was lax: By 'not saying anything', I meant not saying anything normative/actionable about the details of assessing reputation, per se, or that otherwise constitutes actionable specification.

The text you quoted pretty much reflects the statement I made here. (What a surprise.)

RFC7208 <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc7208> SPF:

8.3.  Pass

    A "pass" result means the client is authorized to inject mail with
    the given identity.  The domain can now, in the sense of reputation,
    be considered responsible for sending the message.  Further policy
    checks can now proceed with confidence in the legitimate use of the
    identity.  This is further discussed in Appendix G.1.

Again, this asserts authenticity to the use of the identifier, rather than a statement that the actor using the identifier is to be treated as having a good reputation.

  >  That entire concept is entirely outside these specs.  The hope is that
 > these specs produce activities that facilitate developing better/easier
 > reputation assessment, but the specs themselves do not participate in
 > this process.

I disagree. There are many other words, like trust, that are used to describe reputation, e.g. RFC8617 <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc8617> ARC:

    ARC-enabled Internet Mail Handlers can process sets of ARC assertions
    to inform message disposition decisions, identify Internet Mail
    Handlers that might break existing authentication mechanisms, and
    convey original authentication assessments across trust boundaries.

If someone is tasked with buying good quality eggs, milk, and the like, they have a role in the creation of the pancakes (or waffles, or pasta, or..., but not really.

With respect to the assessment of email reputation, these specifications are similar to that distinction.

The words between the lines are you should (not SHOULD or SHALL) use ARC to manage reputation.

'manage reputation' is normally taken to refer to an assessment of reputation. None of these specification specify that assessment process. They provide some data that is hoped to be used as input to the assessment process, but say nothing about how. No technical details or even guidance.

 > What I meant by foundation is that these techs aid in developing a base
 > of data that is noise free or at least has a lot less noise than when
 > the domain name is unauthenticated.

So DKIM keys can be used in the proposed scheme. That's fine by me.

What I would like is a protocol for bootstrapping trust (WoT), handling complaints, and querying reputation.

So would many folk.  And they have for roughly 30 years.

So far, efforts in that direction have not scaled well and none has attained any type of standards status.

It's possible that this is a difficult problem...

DKIM doesn't solve that problem.

DKIM doesn't pretend to.

d/