On Mon, Jun 20, 2022 at 12:17 PM Bill Cole wrote:
> Which part?

"That form of mailing list was already dying out 20 years ago"

I don't think people were rewriting From: or envelope from at that time.
They were managing bounce addresses.

To test my conjecture, I downloaded mailman-2.1.15 (2012-06-15) and didn't
find any "via" handling. I picked mailman-2.1.19 (2015-02-28), and it
handles DMARC, but it seems to wrap messages in another message, and
doesn't do From rewriting (cursory glance).

> > I looked at mailop's history, and it
> > was a simple reflector in 2018, less than 5 years ago.
>
> Not true. See Graeme Fowler's message.

I apologize if I slighted Graeme or anybody else with the word "simple
reflector".

I meant that there wasn't any From rewriting 5 years ago. I would like to
change that to 10 years ago, but it's certainly not 20.

> > The point here is that there I think this list serves as a bit of an
echo
> > chamber with regard to what mail software is out there.
>
> In what way?

I have been managing mail for several decades. I have written several bits
of mail software, including Assurance Systems>ReturnPath>Validity's first
mail campaign manager, RBL monitor, and SpamAssassin anglicizer. I had not
heard of this list until around 2016. It's hard to find out about this
list.

I said "bit of echo chamber" to mean that I think this group is a subset of
a much larger group. When I get a mail problem fixed by mailing this list,
I think I'm lucky that I happen to belong to this list. I think there are
many admins who just live with it.

> There arguably *IS* an issue with still running Mailman 2.x in 2022, but
that's a very special case of hard-to-upgrade software.

This was my main point, really. Mail is becoming much more complicated to
manage and to implement. Add to this "reputation" and other opaque
barriers, which are just "hard-to-upgrade" peerings. The standards are
making things more complicated (and confusing) while skirting the primary
issue which is a public trust system.

Rob