On 2022-06-20 at 11:59:55 UTC-0400 (Mon, 20 Jun 2022 09:59:55 -0600)
Rob Nagler via mailop <mailop-bp...@q33.us>
is rumored to have said:

> On Mon, Jun 20, 2022 at 8:16 AM Bill Cole wrote:
>> That claim does apply to the simplest sort of mailing list, implemented
>> simply as an alias that 'explodes' into multiple recipients.
>>
>> That form of mailing list was already dying out 20 years ago when SPF
>> was being specified. I expect that it is only used today for lists that
>> are limited to one domain or administrative realm, where SPF would not
>> be in use.
>
> I don't think this is true.

Which part?

> I think the big change happened about 10 years
> ago when Yahoo (I think) turned on SPF "for real" (-all). At least that's
> what shows up in our repo's history.

We each have our own experiences.

I distinctly recall the discussion of this issue during the early development
of SPF. The winning argument was that forwarding for mailing lists with
original envelope senders was problematic per se because of its bad bounce
handling, so breaking that with SPF didn't matter much. Individual forwarding
was really the breaking function that made SRS a necessary companion to SPF.

> I looked at mailop's history, and it
> was a simple reflector in 2018, less than 5 years ago.

Not true. See Graeme Fowler's message.

> The point here is that there I think this list serves as a bit of an echo
> chamber with regard to what mail software is out there.

In what way?

I subscribe to multiple mailing lists for specific topics related to mail and
security, and while there is a noticeable overlap of people, subject matter,
and viewpoints between some of those audiences and this list, MailOp is the
most diverse public mail-focused list I'm on.

> This list is a
> perfect example of slow-to-be-maintained mail software. If it were so easy,
> why didn't this list rewrite From addresses 20 years ago? If the answer is
> that it is run by (expert) volunteers, that proves the point.

Again, see Graeme Fowler's message.

There arguably *IS* an issue with still running Mailman 2.x in 2022, but that's
a very special case of hard-to-upgrade software.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire