On 7/23/2022 1:17 AM, Laura Atkins via mailop wrote:
On 23 Jul 2022, at 05:18, Bill Cole via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> wrote:

On 2022-07-22 at 12:45:18 UTC-0400 (Fri, 22 Jul 2022 12:45:18 -0400)
Luis E. Muñoz via mailop <mailop@lem.click>
is rumored to have said:

On 22 Jul 2022, at 11:49, Laura Atkins via mailop wrote:

I question your assertion that "bounces for X sender doesn’t mean that it shouldn’t be mailed for Y sender". If recipient R has a history of blocking many senders, continuing to send from other senders is not worth it in the long run for the ESP. Just as receivers reject with errors such as "this account is receiving email at a rate that...", the ESP could respond to its client with "this receiver has a history of bounces / rejections / complaints that is incompatible with our policies...".

If only we had a framework for error codes in SMTP that carry useful semantics...

I agree, it would have been nice if the authors of 821 and 822 had considered this use case and provided us with semantics. Unfortunately, the semantics described in those RFCs (and their successors) only talk about what to do with the message that is rejected. There are no semantics or recommendations about what to do with future messages to the addresses that failed to accept the mail.

I recently had occasion to review the text for basic SMTP reply code and was intrigued to be reminded that it does not actually and definitively state that a given address does not exist.  Not a relevant concern, here, but another example of information not provided.

There are many reasons a particular address does not work and many of those reasons have nothing to do with the handling of other addresses at that site.

To the extent that a bulk sender wants to formulate a broader assessment, across addresses, that's their private heuristic, based on all manner of non-standardized information.  It's not something that can be built into an SMTP reply model.

d/

ps.  But yes, it is really remarkable just how little the authors of 821 and 822 anticipated being needed, 40 years later...

pps. It is common to hear complaints about how little the originators of Internet tech considered security.  Comments almost never note that the hardware of the day could not support large-scale use of encryption...