From: mailop <mailop-boun...@mailop.org> On Behalf Of Alessandro Vesely via
mailop
Sent: Wednesday, 10 August 2022 18:55
To: mailop@mailop.org
Subject: Re: [mailop] Debugging MTA-STS sending

On Tue 09/Aug/2022 12:23:51 +0200 Tobias Fiebig via mailop wrote:

> I am currently trying to debug a test for MTA-STS sending; The setup is a
> domain with an MX with an invalid certificate to test whether MTA-STS
> policies are honord (if they are, no mail should be received). I tested this
> last night with an ESP I know should be honoring MTA-STS; However, while the
> policy was retrieved from the webserver, the email got ultimately delivered.
> I also did not get an MTA-STS TLS-RPT, even though other domains got them
> from the same ESP today.
>
> Could some of you who are on a setup that validates MTA-STS please try to
> send me an email to, and if it (hopefully) fails share the NDR?:
>
> measurem...@mail-mtasts.measurement.email-security-scans.org

Here's the warning I've received thus far, using Courier-MTA:

                      DELAYS IN DELIVERING YOUR MESSAGE

The delivery of the following E-mail message has been delayed.  This is an
advisory notice only; it is sent only to notify you about a temporary delay in
delivering your message.  You DO NOT need to do anything at this time.
Additional attempts to deliver your message will be made.  Some possible
reasons for this delay:

    * Network congestion or failure.

    * The destination mail server is temporarily off-line.

Diagnostic information is provided below for each recipient.  If copies of this
message were sent to additional recipients, deliveries to those addresses are
not included in this notice.  This is an advisory notice for the following
addresses only:

<measurem...@mail-mtasts.measurement.email-security-scans.org>:
      tls-invalid.measurement.email-security-scans.org [195.191.197.90]:
  >>> STARTTLS
  <<< 400 Invalid peer certificate

If your message was also sent to additional recipients, their delivery status
is not included in this report.  You may or may not receive other delivery
status notifications for additional recipients.

The original message follows as a separate attachment.

--=_courier_0

Reporting-MTA: dns; wmail.tana.it
Arrival-Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 09:55:52 +0200
Received-From-MTA: dns; [172.25.197.111] (pcale.tana [172.25.197.111])

Final-Recipient: rfc822;
measurem...@mail-mtasts.measurement.email-security-scans.org
Action: delayed
Will-Retry-Until: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 09:55:52 +0200

--=_courier_0

[DELETED]

--=_courier_0--

Best