On 2022-09-05 at 16:27:13 UTC-0400 (Mon, 5 Sep 2022 22:27:13 +0200)
Jaroslaw Rafa via mailop <r...@rafa.eu.org>
is rumored to have said:

Dnia  5.09.2022 o godz. 22:39:01 Atro Tossavainen via mailop pisze:

So do all the ESPs. But their customers send mail, and the recipients
are able to act upon it, informing the ESP of problem clients and
sometimes even getting traction.

In the case of email verifiers, there is no message, and there is no
email recipient to do the same.

The only people who have any visibility to the efforts of woodpeckers
who abuse SMTP (EXPN and VRFY were disabled and even removed from mail software for a reason) are grumpy mail server admins who have much less
time than your average spam recipient for this kind of behaviour.

"Email verification" abusing RCPT TO produces zero benefits in exchange
for nonzero resource use for the target system owners.

Regarding the above, I have the following question:

What do you (and maybe other people on the list) think about such email
verification method ("abusing RCPT TO") used as part of:

a) mail receiving process - I'm thinking here for example about the Postfix feature "reject_unverified_recipient" that checks sender's email using this method before accepting (or rejecting, if sender's email doesn't verify) the message (see http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_VERIFICATION_README.html ). Some other MTAs have similar features too, there are also milters that do this.

Fine. You're responsible for delivering mail submitted to you, and it is entirely reasonable to confirm that the entity you are accepting it from has provided a usable address. What Postfix then does to verify it is exactly what would be done if a message was simply accepted without verification.

b) website registration process - some time ago I was maintaining some
website where people often mistyped their email addresses. Due to the nature of the website the typical "click on confirmation link that arrives via
email" approach could not be used (the form was a part of an official
procedure, users had to fill in a lot of personal data, with email being only one of many fields, also a lot of people filled the form on dedicated machines available in the office that was running the website, where they didn't have access to their email - actually, they didn't have access to anything except the registration form). So I included the code that did the email verification ("abusing RCPT TO") upon form submission, and in case of
a verification failure, asked the user to correct the address.

This is a bit less clear, but I'd say that is fine because you have every reason to believe that you are acting on behalf of the address owner, not some 3rd party who may not have acquired the address legitimately.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire