> If we were passing them on verbatim we wouldn’t have to manually
> process them.

Suppose it is so, then.

> As for the spammers comment, you know that the vast majority of spam
> leaving our network is from compromised servers.

You would know that beyond any doubt. I don't have comprehensive
stats, although I may have guesses.

> Most spam complaints we get are for legitimate clients. There are
> spammers who try to sign up with us, but those that get through and
> start spamming don't last very long.

OK.

I'm curious about the Russian spam list spammer on 78.47.158.139 four
days ago, as well as the dedicated 419 domain on 168.119.9.111 two
weeks ago, if you are at liberty to discuss.

(As well as the Japanese credit card phishers everywhere.

 Subject: [実録]格安カードで騙された!

88.99.150.167
188.40.100.144
138.201.209.250
95.216.221.140
195.201.12.225
148.251.202.161
78.47.187.206
135.181.5.246
95.217.226.237
116.203.45.186
176.9.44.204
65.109.189.33
95.217.211.68
144.76.32.106
188.34.190.243
)

> We deal with this by giving our client a chance to resolve the
> issue.

But you don't know the legitimate client from the illegitimate one
before you do, which could mean you might be passing on information
that the illegitimate one could then use for retaliating against the
complainant.

> If they don't, then we take action. Blocking servers for a
> single abuse complaint without first informing our client about a
> potential issue is not something that a reliable hosting partner
> would do.

Not expecting you to shoot on sight, that's for sure.

Admittedly I also don't know how much information in the initial
complaint you actually do forward to the customer. In the absence
of reliable evidence to the contrary, I am expecting it to be
"everything."

(Which brings us back to square one: don't enable further abuse.)

I'd love to be wrong on that.

> These are dealt with in a timely manner, and a quick look at the
> blacklists that show data for entire networks/companies will show
> that we take spam seriously.

Having only one live SBL is indeed an indication of mostly getting
it right. Many others have dozens, hundreds.

--
Atro Tossavainen, Founder, Partner
Koli-Lõks OÜ (reg. no. 12815457, VAT ID EE101811635)