There's a lot of variation in what 4xx and 5xx mean in practice. This means
there's room for some senders to spend time investigating and understanding
what each receiving domain's 4xx and 5xx (and subcategories thereof)
actually mean for address delivery over time, and for designing rules and
policies to handle them based on observed outcomes - IF those are a more
reliable indicator than the general guidance from RFCs.

That doesn't mean Luke is ignoring null MXes.