On 2023-05-07 at 15:12:54 UTC-0400 (Sun, 7 May 2023 19:12:54 +0000)
Gellner, Oliver via mailop <oliver.gell...@dm.de>
is rumored to have said:

While I’m not affiliated with Yahoo, I see no reason to bash them in this regard. To reduce spam they don’t want to accept emails from made-up / non-existing domains, which is a legit concern. They query for SOA records to verify whether a given domain exists, which is unusual but actually less strict than requiring additional A or MX records.

How so?

A SOA is unrelated to email operationally. A name MUST have either an MX record or an A record (does anyone do AAAA fallback?) to work as the domain part of an email address. Without one of those, an address is by definition undeliverable. The SOA record is all administrative detail; the only truly critical content is the serial number and that is only critical to caching resolvers.

If they are limiting this to domain tails on the PSL, that at least limits the damage and makes some sense. People possibly harmed in that case can at least address the problem directly themselves.

It would be nice if Yahoo clarified what they are actually doing.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire