If you don't care enough to publish a valid SPF record, why should
we think you care whether we deliver your mail?

The customer in question used an ESP to send marketing emails.
That ESP told him what host to include in his SPF record.

Probably some years later, that ESP changed domain and that include
became invalid.

Quite possibly, but I don't see why that is anyone else's problem. As I said, if you want people to accept your mail, act like you want people to accept your mail. If you don't have the skills to do that, get help from someone who does.

If people make reasonable requests for help, that is fine, but don't expect people to work around stuff you can and should fix.

R's,
John