On 7/12/23 9:42 PM, Felix Fontein via mailop wrote:
right now there is only a SOA record for `us.` itself and for
`ci.westfir.or.us.`, but for nothing inbetween.

Ugh, you're right, the customer has removed the delegation of westfir.or.us (I was testing on internal servers that still showed the results.)

And Marcel Becker describes that what Yahoo is actually doing is checking for an SOA in two places:

- the "domain name" used in a MAIL FROM, and
- the PSL-based organizational domain that's the parent of the subdomain (if any).

If neither exists, you get this error.

That explains the issue I saw (thanks!), although it means that the check isn't only run for MAIL FROM domains that are directly at a PSL delegation point, as was suggested in the thread in May.

I still think this is a check that's prone to false positives -- it's assuming things about other peoples DNS setups don't necessarily hold true. For example, even if a domain name is on the PSL, there's no reason that the same organization couldn't also host the DNS for the levels below it in the same zone file, in which case no SOA will exist for the level below.

But anyway, if other people have this trouble, note that it can happen whether the MAIL FROM domain name is directly at a PSL breakpoint or not. The issue is just that there's no SOA found at the MAIL FROM domain name level, nor at the PSL organizational domain level (if different), so you need to make one of those exist.

--
Robert L Mathews