On Fri, 17 Nov 2023 at 10:00, Jeroen via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> wrote:

> > We use an MTA which supports STARTTLS, sending the message data
> > through an encrypted channel for servers which support it (like
> > Google).
>
> Thank you for enabling opportunistic STARTTLS - you've stepped up the
> game for both yourself and possible clients. However, it is not
> something that will mitigate the Gmail deferrals. We have been using
> this for years and still have deferrals every now and then.

Two things can be true at the same time.

The OP did not say that you will never have deferrals once you turn on STARTTLS.
He said that he had deferrals without STARTTLS that went away with STARTTLS.

It is definitely possible that STARTTLS influences behaviours and
limits, just as IPv4 vs IPv6 does.

Google probably wants you to enable STARTTLS, so reducing sending
limits for non STARTTLS senders can make sense from Google's POV.

Lukas