On Fri, Nov 17, 2023 at 02:34:19PM +0000, Lukas Tribus via mailop wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Nov 2023 at 10:00, Jeroen via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> wrote:
> >
> > > We use an MTA which supports STARTTLS, sending the message data
> > > through an encrypted channel for servers which support it (like
> > > Google).
> >
> > Thank you for enabling opportunistic STARTTLS - you've stepped up the
> > game for both yourself and possible clients. However, it is not
> > something that will mitigate the Gmail deferrals. We have been using
> > this for years and still have deferrals every now and then.
>
> Two things can be true at the same time.
>
> The OP did not say that you will never have deferrals once you turn on
> STARTTLS.
> He said that he had deferrals without STARTTLS that went away with STARTTLS.
>
> It is definitely possible that STARTTLS influences behaviours and
> limits, just as IPv4 vs IPv6 does.
>
> Google probably wants you to enable STARTTLS, so reducing sending
> limits for non STARTTLS senders can make sense from Google's POV.
>

> Lukas

I've just discovered that after Dec 4 (see archive.org), Google
added a table at the beginning of this page:
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126

which I'll reproduce in text:
    Sender requirement                              Date added
    Use a TLS connection for transmitting email     Dec. 2023
    Keep spam rates below 0.30%                     Oct. 2023

If anyone haven't seen that page recently, it is worth reading and
rereading.  It's the single most useful page I've ever seen about
sending messages to Gmail.

Omar
--
BIGLIST.com