Your hypothesis is accurate; speaking from professional experience with Proofpoint products, there is an option within the Proofpoint PoD DKIM signing configuration to set the Domain scope to "Any" which will reproduce this behavior if someone just left the defaults when generating a key(s).

Apparently this organization generated ALL their domains' keys with the default Any scope... oof. I'm honestly not even mad, that's impressive.

- Mark Alley