On 2024-01-12 19:53, Louis Laureys via mailop wrote:
I don't see how that's the fault of the BIMI spec. It's just another tool that should help communicate email authenticity somewhat clearer (while also being quite attractive to adopt for many businesses, who doesn't want their logo next to the email saying it's verified).

I'm not sure why people seem to be taking this all or nothing approach, where either it solves everything or it's useless.

(A) SOMEWHAT CLEARER IS NOT CLEAR ENOUGH

If you find "somewhat clearer" useful, feel free to send your credit card details to amaz0n.com. Disclosure: if I was the spammer operating such phishing scheme, I would not tell you.

Seriously: anything in the "somewhat" range is, for all practical purpose, useless. Or otherwise stated: not authentic. This is the internet of 2024, not of 1969. By default, everything is unauthentic until proven different. Not "somewhat" different. Spammers find the vulnerabilities and implement the authentication schemes better and faster than most legitimate sender. The end result is that the extra schemes make things murkier, not clearer.

(B) DETRIMENTAL REDUNDANCY

It is less expensive and more effective for a brand to own a domain (which it already does in most cases) and to protect it with DMARC, making BIMI redundant.

While sometimes redundancy is good (backup), this is not the case here. There are too many "tools that should help communicate email authenticity." While different types of authenticity can justify different tools, when brand and domain coincide there is no difference.

The visual cacofony of different BIMI-brands icons on different lines of the MUA's list of messages is more confusing than the unified green flag displayed on each line with verified DMARC. FairEmail is my goto MUA, with all visual bling (including HTML-body display, so even less branding) disabled. My MUA, my preferences. YMMV.

(C) THE MARKETING/BRANDING VALUE IS TOO LITTLE TO JUSTIFY THE EXPENDITURE

The only remaining value proposition for brands that I see in BIMI is "to allow brands to control the display of their logos in email they send." Funny this value proposition is listed for mailbox providers at https://bimigroup.org/mailbox-providers/ when it is actually a better argument to persuade senders than any of https://bimigroup.org/faqs-for-senders-esps/

As a brand, I already have full control over the emails I send. My concern in the context of email are the emails sent by spammers abusing my logo and BIMI does not help. If anything, the contrary is true. A determined spammer can register an optically similar trademark in a jurisdiction that my brand did not cover. AFAIK there are 17 trademark offices approved for BIMI/VMC. Then fool MUAs and their users globally.

Trademarks are complex thing. (Self-interest) lawyer's advice: the money is better spent on figuring out strategically where and how to protect the brand. Not all brands are Burger King:
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burger_King_(Mattoon,_Illinois)
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burger_King_(Alberta)

A famous CEO of a large Fortune 500 company once said that half of his marketing expenditures are a waste, he just does not know which. In my opinion, if he was not retired, he would know in which half to classify BIMI.

(D) THE SENDER/RECIPIENT FAULT-LINE

"control the display of their logos in email they send" put sender on a collision course with recipients: of course some brands would like to burn in their logos on recipient's displays. That's spammy. There is a difference between the display of names, logos, and avatars from the user's own curated addressbook vs. imposing the sender's control.

If a recipient decides that the 💲 logo is to be displayed instead of the bank's logo; and the ❤️ logo is to be displayed instead of the significant other's avatar: recipient's MUA, recipient's rules. No BIMI shBIMI override / grab of expensive display real-estate. May not be applicable to the significant other for diplomatic reasons, though ;-)

(E) COST

Interestingly, the cost of BIMI are not much different for a Fortune 500 company than for small business like mine. So I made the exercise of following https://bimigroup.org/implementation-guide/ and calculate before coming to a conclusion.

(1) SPF/DKIM/DMARC - This is something that any serious sender should implement to best practice levels. I am guilty of neglecting (no DMARC, no rotation of DKIM keys). The implementation is planned, independently of BIMI. marginal cost to add BIMI: zero.

(2) SVG logo design and hosting. Lucky me, my logo is already SVG, well managed, and of square size. I can re-use what has been used already for business cards, letterheads, etc. and the marginal cost of hosting for BIMI purposes is again zero.

(3) VMC. Although the BIMI implementation guide says it is optional, Apple Mail and Gmail require VMC. Given how ubiquitous those two (default MUAs on almost all mobile devices in operation today and sold in the near future), BIMI without VMC is nearly worthless. While my brand does not require registration to be protected in my jurisdiction, the cost to register/renew a Trademark are small and reasonable. Not so the cost of the VMC, even though the bulk of the work is made at the trademark office. US$1500/year... that kills it. The money is better spent on other advertising activities.

(4) DNS record publication: zero.

(F) CONCLUSION

Cyberspace is not a separate jurisdiction. Never was, never will be. Name/brand/trade mark protection are jurisdiction-based and the tools to protect them are mainly of legal/local nature, not technical/global. But when one sells hammers, they naturally want all potential customers to believe that the screw in their hands are, in fact, nails. That's to me BIMI in a nutshell. No BIMI for me this year.

Yuv
Ontario-licensed lawyer