On 15 Jan 2024, at 06:54, Sebastian Nielsen via mailop <mailop@mailop.org>
wrote:
>>> That header is supposed to be attached by the originating MUA, and I don't
>>> *think* transit MTAs are permitted to rewrite it...
>
> Problem is, that when MUA or first MTA has a incorrect date set, the email
> comes like last in inbox... have seen emails set with 1970-01-01 00:00:00 Or,
> even worse, it has a date that is like, several months off, so you have to
> SEARCH your inbox after that unread email that was popped into the middle.
>
> Thus to avoid that irritating problem, both for my users, and for myself, I
> just set the Date: header to the server time, correcting any incorrect dates.
>
> Whats so wrong with it.

Well, most obviously, the receiver loses information about the original
transmission time of the message. True, nowadays that’s not far off the
reception date, but you never know, maybe there is substantial downtime in the
mail infrastructure between sender and recipient, and it makes a difference to
know that several days have elapsed before when sender sent, and receiver
receives.

Apple Mail, and I’d be surprised if not other mailers, use the IMAP
internal-date for message sorting. So for such users, this hack adds nothing,
and takes info away. I’d advise against.

And thanks for the info about Samsung clients. I don’t have any here, but I was
thinking about not advertising SIZE myself, because our limits are already very
high so people can send large attachments internally. I guess I’ll just
advertise a large number and hope nobody hits it. Pro tip: Apple’s MailDrop
feature uses the declared SIZE to decide if a message should be a candidate for
MailDrop attachments.

Cheers,
Sabahattin