On 2024-02-02 23:08:54 (+0800), Mark E. Jeftovic via mailop wrote:
We're having a bit of a theological debate internally on whether to implement DMARC on our SRS forwarder domains.

The team here says that DMARC means there will never be alignment on an SRS forwarder domain because the envelope-from /must /match the mail-from.

What we're wondering is, which is better:

 * having no DMARC record because there will never be alignment (but
   there is SPF)
 * having a minimal DMARC with p=none ?

This is just for SRS forwarder domains /only/
/
/
Thoughts?

I don't think there's any point in deploying SRS in the first place... Rejecting purely on SPF -all is a misconfiguration. Nobody should be doing that. At best, SRS is going to score a couple of points of hamminess. If a message relies on those points to be seen as ham, there is probably lower hanging fruit the sender needs to pick. This shouldn't be a forwarder problem.

As others have mentioned: ARC is the "solution".

While SRS is purely a hack to work around misguided people hard-enforcing SPF -all policies, ARC actually provides meaningful authentication signals to downstream recipients (and forwarders).

(There is something to be said for hard-enforcing specifically "v=spf1 -all", but policies with anything between the v=spf1 and the -all are overwhelmingly configuration errors, and should only count for scoring.)

Philip