On 2024-02-13 22:57, Hans-Martin Mosner via mailop wrote:
We've been seeing runs of spam mails from Microsoft IP addresses without reverse DNS (possibly cloud servers).

One is sending with addresses <pharmacy@*>, starting on February 8.

The other (same or different spammer?) uses <ne-pas-repondre-*@*> and started just yesterday.

Have others seen these? Is there some way to identify the host IPs which are used by those cloud servers, so one could block incoming SMTP from them if Microsoft can't be bothered to block outgoing SMTP?

Cheers,
Hans-Martin

Hans, you should be blocking ANY connection attempts to port 25 with no PTR record, most of us have been safely doing this for many years..

And of course, can you confirm if this is possibly attempt at SMTP AUTH?

We have been seeing a lot of that for the last two years.

Oh, and a sample IP would be helpful, DYK you can download a JSON file from Microsoft that covers all their IP Space, and the purposes. Not 100% easy or accurate, but gets you where you need to be.

(DO wish these "Too Big to Block" would SWIP their IP space more fractionally, or run their own 'rwhois' services with accurate details)

--
"Catch the Magic of Linux..."
"LinuxMagic" a Reg. TradeMark of Wizard Tower TechnoServices Ltd.