Am 18.04.2024 schrieb Sebastian Arcus via mailop <mailop@mailop.org>:

> The mention of HELO is what threw me off - and I kept on thinking
> that it's not possible, as port 25 is blocked. But I completely
> missed the point that even authenticated connections on 587 will use
> HELo - I think?

They require auth, so they will use EHLO. :-)
Although no difference here.

The EHLO/HELO FQDN can't be used to abuse something. If it is the FQDN
with matching reverse/forward DNS, it is fine.

When submitting mail to 465/587, the machine will use its name (most
likely no a FQDN), but that is not a problem because MSAs must not
check that name - it would fail most of the time.

> So 587/465 could be possibilities. I don't really have qualms with
> completely blocking outbound 587/465 if needed - they are mainly
> still open because it's the first time I've dealt with issues being
> caused by them being open - and I like to try and provide
> functionality for users up to the point when it is starting to cause
> problems.

Unless the cause of the listing is not clearly known, nobody can tell
why the machine was listed.

You also see: NAT is crap.