On Mon, 8 Jul 2024 20:24:28 -0500, Scott Mutter via mailop <mailop@mailop.org>
wrote:

>I do suspect that John Von Essen's opinion has some merit.  I wish this
>information was posted on a trusted third party website.  Something to
>point customers to when they complain about being unable to send mail to @
>att.net email addresses.  There's no telling what email those same @att.net
>users are not getting.

Actually, the important party that's being entirely left out of this
discussion, the end user, is the one who needs the information.  A couple of
my clients have put notices on their sign-up forms, notifying persons with the
following email providers ... that they may not receive acknowledgements,
notifications, receipts, or other communications simply because the provider
they have selected cannot afford to exercise due diligence in their email
blocking.

A symmetrically opposite problem is when, e.g., Gmail users complain to me
that their recent mail was returned to them by Google, showing a

> 530 4.7.0 Connection refused

response when the message delivery was attempted.

I have to respond that Google allows users to send between 20 and 40 messages
per week to "sudden death" spamtraps at this tiny domain, each of which will
cause the sending IP address to be banned for at least 24 hours.  Eventually,
a significant percentage of Google's outbound server farm is in the dog house.
They need to select a different provider.  Nobody is "too big to block".  My
users know this up front.

mdr
--
       Those who can make you believe absurdities
       can make you commit atrocities.