We received a thousand or so of the attached backscatter emails this
morning, each one to a different recipient, but with the same
return-path, <w...@wikimedia.org>. I don't have much experience dealing
with backscatter, so I was hoping for some guidance from this list.

Questions:

1.  Why are the non-delivery notifications sent to
    <postmas...@wikimedia.org> rather than to <w...@wikimedia.org>?
2.  Does the backscatter email show evidence of miss configuration on my
    side? I don't believe so, but we did recently stand up some new
    postfix servers, whereas our existing servers run exim.
3.  What mitigations do folks recommend to drop these types of messages?

Thanks, Jesse
--- Begin Message ---
** Address not found **

Your message wasn't delivered to ebuergler@sbcglobal​.net because the address
couldn't be found, or is unable to receive mail.

The response from the remote server was:
550 5.2.1 <ebuerg...@sbcglobal.net>... Addressee unknown, relay=[108.177.16.9]
Reporting-MTA: dns; googlemail.com
Received-From-MTA: dns; wiki@wikimedia.org
Arrival-Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2024 13:38:11 -0700 (PDT)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; ebuergler@sbcglobal.net
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; ff-ip4-mx-vip2.prodigy.net. (144.160.159.22, the server for
 the domain sbcglobal.net.)
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 5.2.1 <ebuergler@sbcglobal.net>... Addressee unknown, relay=[108.177.16.9]
Last-Attempt-Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2024 08:46:42 -0700 (PDT)
--- Begin Message ---
Hi KOSUDL,

Thanks for adding an email to your Wikipedia account, registered from IP
address 41.140.152.187.

Please click on the link below to confirm this as the email address you'd like
to link to your account "KOSUDL":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:ConfirmEmail/37dc24cda5d650e817bfa8217414481c

Note: this confirmation code expires at 20:15, 17 July 2024.

Thanks,

Wikipedia

----

To cancel the email address confirmation (because you did not register the
account or for any other reason), click on this cancellation link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:InvalidateEmail/37dc24cda5d650e817bfa8217414481c

--- End Message ---

--- End Message ---