There are SO many things wrong with this don't know even where to start..

(google.com: domain abaimiddle.school.test-google-a.com configured 89.190.156.188 as internal address)

But in the end, this appears to obviously be a Google problem..

But easy to see why you are confused. Typically, any service that generates backscatter would quickly find itself on a spam RBL. But when the 'Too Big to Block' do it.. it's frustrating.

But I don't know if this is technically traditional 'backscatter' issue.

IF it is passed off to Google to handle the email delivery, and SBC correctly rejects it during the SMTP phase with a user does not exist, this is more like internal Google blowback. (Still as it isn't returning it to the original sender, it is backscatter) We have seen other cases of backscatter from them.

Can you add a little more details to be sure? Are you using Google services at all?

wikimedia.org descriptive text "v=spf1 include:_cidrs.wikimedia.org include:_spf.google.com ip4:74.121.51.111 ~all"

On 2024-07-11 13:01, Jesse Hathaway via mailop wrote:
We received a thousand or so of the attached backscatter emails this
morning, each one to a different recipient, but with the same
return-path, <w...@wikimedia.org>. I don't have much experience dealing
with backscatter, so I was hoping for some guidance from this list.

Questions:

1.  Why are the non-delivery notifications sent to
     <postmas...@wikimedia.org> rather than to <w...@wikimedia.org>?
2.  Does the backscatter email show evidence of miss configuration on my
     side? I don't believe so, but we did recently stand up some new
     postfix servers, whereas our existing servers run exim.
3.  What mitigations do folks recommend to drop these types of messages?

Thanks, Jesse

"Catch the Magic of Linux..."
"LinuxMagic" a Reg. TradeMark of Wizard Tower TechnoServices Ltd.