On Sat, Aug 31, 2024 at 08:16:22AM +0100, Matthew Richardson via mailop wrote:

> I also wish to keep accounts/credentials indefinately, and think I have
> concluded that this can be adequately achieved using TOTP as well as unique
> email address/password combinations for each account.
>
> TOTP is based on a shared secret which is (depending upon TOTP client)
> straightford to extract and retain securely for the long term.
>
> Does anyone see any flaw in this approach, or in the longevity of TOTP?

The flaw for me is that TOTP involves using phone apps I don't know
the provenance of, that back up the data in a format I don't know
to my "Google Drive", which is the most protected place I'd choose.

If the app I'm using stops being available, I don't currently a
have a good recovery plan.  What do you use to keep your TOTP
data safe and sufficiently portable between "devices"?

--
    Viktor.