On 2024-09-01 at 10:45 +0300, Atro Tossavainen wrote:
> > The flaw for me is that TOTP involves using phone apps I don't know
> > the provenance of,
>
> https://github.com/freeotp
>
> is much lighterweight than Microsoft or Google Authenticator anyway.
>
> > that back up the data in a format I don't know
> > to my "Google Drive", which is the most protected place I'd choose.
>
> I am under the impression that FreeOTP does not back up data.

It did not for a long time. But last year there was a major upgrade
with Version 2, which includes the ability to Backup and restore the
seeds (protected by a password you set when first installing the App).

Nonetheless, it's probably simpler/more robust to simply save a copy of
the seeds (on an offline location) at the time you set up 2FA.

Regards