On Tue, Sep 17, 2024 at 01:57:03PM +0100, Sebastian Arcus via mailop wrote:
> On 17/09/2024 12:36, Peter N. M. Hansteen wrote:
> >  From the symptoms you describe, I would say this matches somebody running
> > a joejob (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_job) campaign and most likely
> > bought a bottom of the barrel spamto: list with a generous helping of
> > outdated or never-existed-in-the-first-place addresses.
>
> Thank you for taking the time to reply. The two destination email addresses
> - one @virginmedia.com and the other @ntlworld.com are people the sender is
> usually corresponding with. The sender and recipients have been talking to
> each other on the phone and trying to figure out why they can't email each
> other any more - and then they contacted me.

So valid, existing addresses all around, then?

In that case, it sounds like whoever minds the domains you mention would have
some
explaining to do.

It could be that they have joined the school of thought that considers any
low volume sender domain part of the discardable background noise or that
they have signed up for a service that operates on that principle.

Anyway, I would want a full explanation of what happens at their end.

- Peter

https://bsdly.blogspot.com/ https://www.bsdly.net/ https://www.nuug.no/