On Virgil and Tolkien: what can be said has now been said. Back, then, to
the original question, of how to teach the Aeneid in translation. Do you
give the history all at once, before starting the poem, or do you let it
dribble out as needed? I confess to being a dribbler, but as I have
mentioned earlier, I don't think I have been teaching the poem very
effectively.