Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 01:03:49 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Neven Jovanovic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Aeneid 12,838-840:

Hinc genus Ausonio mixtum quod sanguine surget,
supra homines, supra ire deos pietate uidebis,
nec gens ulla tuos aeque celebrabit honores.

In reading for _rivers of blood_, I chanced across the verses
cited above. The problem seems to fit into the discussion of Vergil's
philosophic views. How would you interpret the _supra ire deos pietate_?
It is Juppiter who is speaking here, so it seems too easy to dismiss it
as mere rhetoric.
For the Greeks _supra ire deos_ could be hubris.
For the Rome of Vergil's time, it could be bitter irony.

I apologize for not translating the lines, and for not being able to
check the commentaries.
Servius says nothing ad loc.
I checked for further references -- and no Roman poet
uses the idea, at least not in this (or etymologically similar) wording.

Neven Jovanovic

Department of Classics
Zagreb University
Hrvatska / Croatia