The questions you have posed are interesting, considering that I have
spent the last year and a half exploring Virgil's Book IV, and trying
to find out exactly those answers.  My conclusions are: 1) Yes, in
Dido's eyes, she did consider herself married to Aeneas. Whether of
not they consummated the affair is unknown, but left only to the
theatrics played out by Dido.  I truly believe that Dido may have
believed that their affair was in fact a mutual sharing. Dido believed
that she could sway Aeneas to somehow be dissuaded from his journey
and remain with her.2) In some ways, I do believe that Aeneas thought
of their tryst as a cheap fling, and evidence throughout the rest of
Book IV leads me to believe this way.  Aeneas makes no attempt to
comfort her or try to sympathize with her broken heart. Aeneas
believes that Dido is in fact, crazy, and thus a threat to herself and
him.  Aeneas is too preoccupied with his own ventures to consider
their affair as anything more than a stop on the way.  My question is:
Why do you think Virgil included Dido in the Aeneid? Was she merely a
deterent for Aeneas? or was she a sign of Aeneas' humanness, that he
could find love?  What is Dido's purpose in the story, and do you
think that Virgil created her just to have Aeneas turn her down? Is
this Virgil's misogynist nature, creating women only to have them
defeated by men?

Kristen Rhodes