I ask the questions differently: why is Dido represented in Book I as a strong
leader among men and through most of Book IV as a lovesick woman who can't get
over
being abandoned by Aeneas?  The following verses (494-508) interest me intensely
"regina ad templus, forma pulcherrima Dido,/incessit, magna iuvenum stipante
caterva./ ....talis erat Dido, talem se laeta ferebat/ per medios, instans operi
regnisque futuris./ tum foribus divae, media testudine templi,/ saepta armis
solioque alte subnixa resedit./ iura dabat legesque viris, operumque laborem/
partibus aequabat iustis aut sorte trahebat."  In contrast to her unfulfilled
desires in Book IV, these verses are so totally opposed to her character.  Two
very
different extremes.

The questions are hard to answer.  I've been pursuing them from the perspective
of
the ancient view of women.  I don't think we can look at Dido qua Dido.  We
need to
explore her many antecedents and the construction of women in general in the
five
hundred years before.  In addition we have the political reasons which are put
forth for Virgil's creation of her and that she might be a foil for Cleopatra.
No
easy answers.

Did Dido consider herself married to Aeneas?  Was she a cheap thrill?  The texts
are unclear.  Certainly Dido may have considered herself married based on the on
the scene in the cave during the rainstorm.  Is that the important question,
however?  .

I go back to the role of the gods in Dido's downfall.  In Book I.657 ff. Venus
schemes to send Cupid in place of Ascanius so that he can make her forget her
commitment to Sychaeus.  That strategy is to ensure that Dido helps the Trojans.
In Book IV.90 ff. Juno, knowing how far gone with love Dido is,  suggests to
Venus
that they conspire together to "potius pacem aeternam pactosque hymenaeos/
exercemus?" (99-100)  Venus knows she can't trust Juno (105) but she suggests to
the latter that she approach Jupiter "sed fatis incerta feror, si Iuppiter nuam/
esse velit Tyriis urbem Troiaque profectis/ miscerive probet populos aut foedera
iungi." (110-112).  I don't remember there being a follow up with Jupiter on
that
score.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

In 117 ff. Juno plans the seduction of Dido in the cave during the rainstorm;
Venus
agrees.  How much is in the power of Dido herself?

As far as Aeneas goes, he impresses me as a sad, depressed man doing his duty,
knowing he must go to Italy.  He temporarily enjoys the liaison, but I don't
think
he considers Dido a cheap fling.  I think he is a man whom the fates, destiny,
call
it what you will, holds in its hands.  So neither really has a choice.  And
perhaps
that is what Virgil is saying.  That one must do one's duty no matter what.  The
question of Dido, of course, remains very problematic.  It's too simple to say
that
Virgil picked Dido because she represented Carthage, Rome's old enemy; he
certainly
converted whatever is known about the historical Dido to someone whose myth is
now
accepted as fact.

These "answers" only raise new questions.  How we choose to go about the task of
finding evidence to support what we think are the answers depends on our
training
and outlook.

I have not yet looked at Catullus' Ariadne in relation to Dido.  I had never
considered her as a possibility and need to think more on that.  I do think
Apollonius' Medea is one of the antecedents that has to be considered in
understanding Dido and that there is a similarity between her rage and Dido's. I
can't yet give you chapter and verse, however.