On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Philip Thibodeau wrote:

> And whenever we want we can turn back the page and be with Dido or
> Pallas or whoever while they're still alive.  So my question for the list
> would be, do people believe Vergil could foresee how much his readers would
> care about Dido, for example?  And if so, then isn't it incomplete to say
> that what Vergil's real message is is that we should do our duty and obey
> fate, or that women are obstacles to Roman progress?

What if we formulate the question this way: does the text of the Aeneid
itself _foresee how much its readers would care_? It takes us to the
problem of pathos (and to the problem of enjoying the turbulent emotions
for the sake of their energy, perhaps)... enabling us at the same time to
keep the speculation in check, to stick to what was written...

I read Heinze (slowly, slowly...) (_Vergil's Epic Technique_, Bristol
1993) and find here a lot of possible points to start from. In a way it
is a classic, like Vergil himself: you can go different places from there.

Neven