Please don't feel bad, James.  I'm grateful that you gave it a try.
     David, do I understand you correctly that this is just the general
use of "hercle" as an oath, an exclamation, and not a personal reference
to Hercules?
     The person who sent me the Persius quotation in Mathias Lincopensis
was trying to help me out with a  project I have going on awareness of
classical mythology, specifically myths of Hercules, in Sweden during the
Middle Ages and Renaissance.  So I guess this citation by Mathias in his
_Poetria_ is not a good example of such; its interest is purely metrical.
     Does anyone have any real examples of Hercules mentioned by early
Scandinavian authors?  And can anyone suggest an edition of Mathias of
Linkoeping's _Poetria_ anyway?
Thanks,
Randi Eldevik