At 09:43 AM 9/14/98 -0500, you wrote:
>By conservative, I take it you mean Galinsky's position that Augustus's
>takeover was basically a Good Thing, as opposed to Syme's linkage of
>Augustus's rise to power with the way Hitler and other '30's dictators
>came to power?  Or do you mean conservative in some other sense?

No, that's about what I meant, though after thinking about it for a few
days, I probably ought to have picked an adjective that is subject to less
variation over time and distance.

>     Also, I don't know what kind of course you have in mind, but for a
>narrative history of the early empire, why not have students read
>something straight from the horse's mouth, such as Tacitus's _Histories_
>and _Annals_?  Tacitus's dissatisfaction with Augustus certainly offsets
>the Galinsky perspective.

Most of the primary sources are in fact available online now at the Ancient
History Sourcebook <http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/asbook.html>, a
phenomenal resource I learned about this evening from N. S. Gill's Ancient
History newsletter <http://ancienthistory.miningco.com/msub19.htm>.

Having said that, I'm still looking for a more synoptic approach to the
period.